Tuesday, July 7, 2009

More beavers!



In the days of the Dudley Acres farm, it was found necessary to build a pond to provide a consistent source of water for the farm animals and whatnot. Building ponds was common in the area, there are many streams and marshes and low places. A pond could be created simply by damming a small waterway in a low place and allowing the water to fill it. Such was Dudley pond. Today it still has a man made dam with a wheel to adjust the water height and a spillway to let out water when it became too high.
This body of water still stands, with its dam and spillway. However, the beavers have decided to further alter the pond themselves. They too, constructed a dam, in the spillway. So that the water does become too high.
The current ownership of Dudley Pond is unknown to me, but the highway department has been destroying the beaver dam consistently for two years now, to prevent flooding from occurring in the area. I too, may spend some time in my waders pulling apart beaver dams, though it's not really my place. My ancestors may have built the dam, but it is no longer within the family. I would like it back into the families possession. Perhaps then I could take care of this beaver and maybe even install a micro-hydro generator.

No comments:

Post a Comment