Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wall Removal



Today I removed an old wall in my attic. The attic of my circa 1720 house is where I live. Its been awfully cold in winter and hot in summer up there, so this year we will insulate it. To improve the air flow in that area (since there are no heaters up there) and the overall appearance of the area, we decided to take out this ugly wall. Don't worry fellow engineers, the wall is non load bearing, an I remembered to turn off the power to the outlet and the light before moving wires...I didn't want any surprises of the electric variety. Shown on the left is a before picture of the wall after moving away all the furniture (it is a very ugly wall). And to the right is the after picture. There was a lot of dust in the air afterwards, hence the awkward picture.

2 comments:

  1. How old is this wall? How old is most of the interior of your house?

    Old things are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wall was an attempt in the 60's to make a "room" - it was ugly and did not fit. What you see is the upstairs of the original roof built in 1720 ish. Solid chestnut beams with posts to hold it. Built by Samuel Dudley.

    ReplyDelete